12 Homeless Following Apartment Fire in St. Johnsbury Friday Night

in Feature/News

ST. JOHNSBURY — There is no word yet as to what caused a fire that ripped through an apartment building in St. Johnsbury on Friday night, leaving 12 people homeless, however, it is believed that the blaze originated from a candle that was burning in one of the bedrooms.

china buffet

The fire broke out on the second floor of the building, located on Pearl Street, just after 8 p.m. Fire crews evacuated eleven people living in the Walden Mountain Apartments, as well as a person who lived next door.

The Red Cross says that they are providing food, lodging, and financial assistance to those impacted by the fire.

Friends of those affected have taken to Facebook to start organizing an effort to collect clothes for the children living in the building.

The roof of the building is completely gone. A fire investigation is underway.

Are you on Instagram? Cool. So are we. CLICK HERE to follow us for a behind the scenes look at Newport Dispatch.
.