NORTH TROY — A 40-year-old man was injured, and a section of Railroad Street closed after an explosion yesterday in North Troy.
The explosion took place at around 2:00 p.m.
Firefighters say they located Wayne LePage seated outside and appeared to have sustained burns to his upper body.
He was rushed to North Country Hospital by a family member and later to UVM Hospital by ambulance.
The explosion was found to have occurred inside a camper located on the property.
Investigators say LePage is believed to have been manufacturing homemade fireworks when the explosion occurred.
Residents in the immediate vicinity were evacuated and a one-block portion of Railroad Street was closed due to safety concerns.
Members from VSP’s Bomb Squad and Arson Unit were on scene to assist along with a member each from the ATF and FBI.
There was substantial damage to the camper, and no other injuries were reported.
The investigation is ongoing, police say.