Photos by Lucy Cannon Neel, and Scott Wiesen, Facebook.

Shooting scare in Derby Line sends school into lockout

in Derby Line/Newport/News

DERBY LINE — An active shooter scare in Derby Line this afternoon caused a local school to go on “lockout,” but police say that there is no danger to the public at this time.

It started at around 1:09 p.m. when the Orleans County Sheriff’s Department received a call to their dispatch reporting a shooting at a residence on Caswell Avenue in Derby Line.

The male caller stated that he had just shot a family member, giving police a physical address on Caswell Avenue, which was confirmed by the dispatcher.

While attempting to gather further information, the caller hung up and gave no return phone number.

Police say the phone number was not recorded by their caller ID.

A multiagency response took place at the residence on Caswell Avenue included Deputies from the Orleans County Sheriff’s Department, the Vermont State Police, US Customs and Border Protection, US Border Patrol, Newport Police Department, and the Department of Motor Vehicle Enforcement Unit.

Police say the large presence of federal agents was due to the proximity of the reported scene to the United States Port of Entry on 1-91 and the fact that Caswell Avenue runs along the US-Canadian border.

Officers made a tactical approach to the house and met the owner who stated that it was not him that had called and he was alone in the residence.

The residence was searched by a responding team of officers and nothing was found.

Police say while officers were beginning to clear from the scene, three distinct gunshots were heard nearby.

At this time, officers regrouped to a safe area and a decision was made to check several nearby houses.

The Derby Elementary School was notified and school officials placed the school on lockout until the end of the school day.

Neighboring homes were checked and nothing further was found, police say.

According to a statement issued by Sheriff Kirk Martin, there were no injuries to any party at this time.

By 2:30 p.m. all units cleared the scene and Caswell Avenue was re-opened to traffic and residents were let back to their home.

The school was also notified and opted to remain in their current status until the end of the school day.

Are you on Instagram? Cool. So are we. CLICK HERE to follow us for a behind the scenes look at Newport Dispatch.