BROWNINGTON — A Brownington man was kept overnight at North Country Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation after a fire started in his home Thursday morning.
Authorities say Joseph Aroh was in his living room having a cigarette while using an oxygen tank at around 9:30 a.m. when the fire broke out at the home, located on Hinman Settler Road.
Aroh was able to get himself out of the house, but suffered smoke inhalation and was transferred to the hospital by Orleans Ambulance.
Around 35 firefighters from Orleans, Barton, Irasburg, and Newport City worked to contain the blaze.
Crews managed to keep the fire to the living room and parts of the first floor. Two firefighters were nearly injured when the roof started to collapse, causing them to fall down a flight of stairs.
Aroh was treated overnight. He had insurance on the two-story home.
Authorities blame smoking while using oxygen for the fire.Are you on Instagram? Cool. So are we. CLICK HERE to follow us for a behind the scenes look at Newport Dispatch.