Newport Farmers’ Market getting ready for a busy month

in Arts and Entertainment/Newport

Newport Vermont Farmers Market

NEWPORT — The Newport Farmers’ Market is getting ready for Farmers’ Market Week which will start this Saturday. The nationwide celebration of all things farmers’ market, began in 2000 with a designation by the USDA, in recognition of the important role markets play in developing local and regional food systems. The week is celebrated August 3-9.

Per capita, Vermont has more farmers’ markets than any other state in the nation. The Newport Farmers’ Market has been serving Orleans County for over 40 years.

Be sure to also come out to Newport Farmers’ Market on Saturday August 16, for Customer Appreciation Day as they celebrate another great season. There are currently more than 20 vendors offering local produce and crafts, and the event will feature great door prizes, balloons for all ages, and music from Friends and Drifters.

According to Vermont’s Secretary of Agriculture, Chuck Ross, Vermont’s thriving farmers’ market community is a reflection of the values of Vermonters.

“Farmers’ markets bring communities together, provide local, healthy food, create opportunity for farmers, and preserve the Working Landscape, which is why so many Vermonters are proud to support them.” Ross said.

He also believes the markets play an important educational role.

“Farmers’ markets connect consumers directly to the producers who grow and raise their food,” said Secretary Ross. “This connection is critical to fostering what I often refer to as ‘Ag Literacy,’ an appreciation and understanding of where food comes from, and how farming works.”

“Today, less than 2% of our national population works on a farm,” he continued. “Farmers’ markets are one way we can ensure the other 98% remains connected to agriculture in these changing times.”

Are you on Instagram? Cool. So are we. CLICK HERE to follow us for a behind the scenes look at Newport Dispatch.
.