70.9 F
Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Vermont Ice Storm Turns Deadly in Albany

ALBANY — The ice storm over the weekend claimed the life of a man from Albany, who died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Vermont State Police report that at 6:21 a.m. Monday, they received a call regarding a death in Albany. The Victim has been identified as Mitchell Rowell, age 60. The Albany Fast Squad arrived and pronounced Mr. Rowell dead at approximately 7:04 a.m.

Police say Rowell was running a generator in his garage because the power was out in his home.

The Vermont State Police would like to reiterate safety messages from the Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security, as well as the Vermont Department of Health, regarding carbon monoxide safety precautions.

Never run a generator indoors. Ensure any generator is outside; and far away from windows or any other area from which exhaust can vent back into a living area. Carbon monoxide can cause injury or death. The risk of CO poisoning increases when generators and heat sources, such as propane cooking stoves, are improperly used indoors.

Early symptoms of CO poisoning can be confused with flu-like symptoms, with headache, dizziness and nausea. It can also cause sleepiness, vision problems, including blurred vision, ringing in the ears, aching arms and legs, irregular breathing, fatigue and confusion. At very high levels, it causes loss of consciousness and death.

If you lose power and need a warm place to go Vermont 211 has a list of shelters that are open.

Latest news
Related news


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here